Outdoor Gift Guide For Your Valentine
Rather be surrounded by trees than roses? Check out our guide to outdoor gifts this Valentine’s Day.
Valentine’s Day is the holiday people seem to love to hate. But, the day doesn’t have to represent big gestures and sappy cards. Last Valentine’s Day my (now) fiancé and I went on a small hike (Phoenix readers: Papago Park is great for this) and enjoyed a picnic while the sun set over downtown. Easy, cheap, outdoorsy, and great.
If you and your sweetheart’s ideal Valentine’s Day includes more trees than roses, you may want to consider the following outdoor gift ideas this year.
5 Valentine Gift Ideas for Your Outdoor Sweetheart
- Register for a class. Boost your outdoor knowledge and spend some more time together with one of REI’s many classes. From snow sports to camping to wilderness medicine, there are many fun and useful options to pick from.
- Hiking boots. If you’re planning a hike, make sure you and your loved one are outfitted with the right gear. For our hike last year, I wore my La Sportiva Primer GORE-TEX® SURROUND® Shoes. They’re designed for warmer conditions (perfect for spring in Arizona) and offer great breathability.
- 14er inspiration. Colorado’s Fourteeners: From Hikes to Climbs offers 376 pages of often-climbed routes, as well as alternative and technical routes. If your valentine has dreams of conquering the Centennial State’s 14ers, this book will be much appreciated.
- For your loved one that is ready for any adventure, they need a jacket that’s ready for any adventure. Enter the Patagonia Piolet Jacket. Built to keep you moving comfortably through all of your mountain adventures, this jacket is waterproof, windproof, and breathable. Available in men’s and women’s styles.
- Valentine’s Day usually comes with a dinner date. Thankfully, there are enough quick and easy options to make a romantic dinner in the great outdoors. Consider the following choices:
Valentine’s Day Outdoor Menu
No matter what you decide to do this holiday, remember that it’s the thought that counts. Any time spent exploring nature with your loved one is a good day in my book.