Italian mountaineer and ski mountaineer Tamara Lunger has achieved remarkable feats in high-altitude mountaineering through various global expeditions; notably, in 2017, she secured the distinction of becoming the first woman to independently conquer Lhotse, the world's fourth highest mountain. Additionally, she has summited numerous peaks surpassing 8,000 meters, including illustrious names like Mount Everest and Kangchenjunga, solidifying her reputation as one of the contemporary world's most adept and audacious mountaineers.
I consider myself a soul mountaineer, completely in love with nature. Years ago, my greatest passion revolved around high-altitude mountaineering. However, a tragic expedition on K2 during the winter of 2021, in which I lost five friends, compelled me to rebuild from the ground up. It was the hardest, but maybe also the most beautiful journey of my life.
What do you love about GORE-TEX products?
It is the perfect partner for me in nature: light and efficient!
What is your favorite place and why?
I don't have just one place, but perhaps I can consider K2 the most significant place in my life, as it's where I healed, lost, and grew.
What are your hobbies, besides your main passion?
I love simply being in nature. In addition to all the mountain sports, I enjoy yoga, meditation, picking mushrooms ;), cooking and eating, spending time with my family, and working with my hands.
Many things, but I always need to wait for the right time.
What is your personal wisdom; what would you like to share with the world?
A truly free person is someone who never loses their childlike heart.
Which three words describe yourself?
Soul Mountaineer, Intuitive, Independent.
What one item should never be missing when you’re on top of a mountain?
My passion: to be grateful!
- Summited the 3,003m Gora Pobeda with Simone Moro, described as possibly the coldest mountain on the planet.
- Opened up a new mountaineering route on Island Peak during an attempt to climb Manaslu in Nepal. Elevation: 6,182m.
- Climbed Nanga Parbat in Pakistan, also known as “Killer Mountain.” 70 meters (300 feet) below the summit, she turned back to not put her partners at risk. Elevation: 8,126m.
- Second Italian woman to summit K2, also known as “Savage Mountain” on the Pakistan / China Border without using oxygen. Elevation: 8,611m.
- Winner of the GORE-TEX Transalpine-Run, an eight-day race across Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Italy.
- Youngest woman to summit Lhotse in the Nepalese Himalayas. Elevation: 8, 516m.
I love running in the wind. It makes me feel alive and full of power. Sometimes, it tries to push me back, hard, but I move against it. If the wind is out of control that day, my GORE-TEX jacket keeps me protected. No matter how hard I’m pushing myself, or during breaks, I’m ready for what comes next. Forest paths, mountain trails, seawalls. I can take it just about anywhere—and it’s my style. I even wear it when I’m not training.