How to care for your GORE-TEX outerwear
Taking good care of your GORE-TEX garments is easy - and that includes washing your waterproof GORE-TEX outerwear and non-waterproof clothing from the GORE-TEX INFINIUM™ product range. Be sure to carefully follow the garment manufacturer’s instructions too. (usually found on the inner label).
Things You'll Need
Washing Machine • Liquid Detergent • Dryer (recommended) • Iron, towel or cloth (optional, if no dryer available) • Water Repellent Treatment (as needed to restore water repellency)
- Before washing, zip the front, pockets and pit zips completely.
- Fasten any loose flaps and straps.
- Machine wash (105°F/40°C).
- Use a small amount of liquid detergent.
- Rinse twice and minimize spinning.
- Don't use powder detergents, fabric softeners, stain removers, or bleach.
- Don't wash with heavily soiled clothing.
- Tumble dry on a warm gentle cycle or line dry your outerwear.
- Don't dry at a high temperature.
- Once dry, tumble dry for a further 20 minutes to reactivate the durable water repellent (DWR) treatment.
- If a dryer isn't available, iron the garment on a gentle setting.
- When ironing, protect the garment with a towel or cloth.
- Don't use steam.
- You can do this step any time you notice the water repellency needs a boost.
- If water doesn’t bead and run off after washing, you’ll need to reapply a durable water repellent (DWR).
- Use a DWR product of your choice, available as a pump-spray or a wash-in product.
- Following application, tumble dry your garment for 20 minutes to activate the DWR treatment.
- Or iron the dry garment on a gentle setting (warm, no steam) , placing a towel or cloth between the garment and the iron.
- Don't apply DWR to GORE-TEX products with a persistent beading surface (e.g. GORE-TEX SHAKEDRY™ garments). See special care instructions below.
GORE-TEX garments with persistent beading surfaces
Washing GORE-TEX garments with persistent beading surfaces (e.g. GORE-TEX SHAKEDRY™ garments) is slightly different as they have no textile outer layer - the outer layer is the GORE-TEX membrane itself and there's no need for DWR.
- Machine wash on delicate cycle at 105°F/40°C.
- Do not dry clean.
- Do not tumble dry.
- Do not iron.
- Do not bleach.
- Do not apply DWR treatment.